When it comes to carrying toddlers, it can be a painful (or even undoable) experience with the wrong carrier. Not to mention potentially unsafe. This list covers what we consider to be the best carriers for toddlers - carriers that you'll actually be able to carry them in.
The first couple of carriers in the list are designed to carry smaller babies all the way up to toddlers. These are for those who currently have babies and want a carrier that will also carry their baby once they become a toddler.
The final 3 carriers are all toddler-specific carriers for those who have babies who have grown out of their current baby carrier.
Or if you are just starting to carry and you already have a baby/toddler that's over 20lbs. Or if you have a new baby that you are going to put in your other carrier and need a separate one for your toddler.
Alright, let's take a look at those toddler carriers!
Best Carriers for Toddlers Reviews
1. Boba 4G Baby Carrier
The Boba 4G isn't a toddler specific carrier, but its one of those carriers that caters to a wide range of baby sizes. So, as long as you're not intending on carrying your toddler beyond 3, then this is a good toddler option.
There are many things to like about the Boba 4G.
Little things like the multiple pockets, a removable sleeping hood and footstraps for your toddler are some nice extra features.
But more importantly the carrier is highly adjustable and versatile. It's versatile in a number of ways:
- Wide range of baby sizes accommodated (7lbs to 45lbs)
- Wide range of adult sizes accommodated (5'0" to 6'3", waist 25"-58")
- Front and back carry positions
The carrier does require an infant insert for smaller babies but it comes with the carrier, so you don't have to buy it separately. If you're just buying this for your toddler, you can just leave that out.
Above all else the carrier is ergonomic and promotes a hip healthy position for your baby or toddler.
- Free from any potential harmful materials or dyes
- The 4G baby carrier will take your little one from infancy to toddler
- Use as a front carrier from 7-25 pounds and front or back carrier from 25-45 pounds
- Integrated infant insert with 2 positions
- Removable sleeping hood and foot straps included
What's to like about the Boba 4G
Versatile with a wide range of sizes of baby and wearer and some nice extras like foot straps and a removable sleeping hood.
What's not to like about the Boba 4G
No facing out option.
2. Ergobaby 360 Baby Carrier
Like the Boba 4G above, the Ergobaby 360 is a carrier that covers babies and toddlers. Won't accommodate toddlers for as long as the next 3 in the list, but can still carry up to 3 years comfortably - and allows you to also carry a smaller baby.
With a weight range of 12lbs to 45lbs, the Ergobaby fills that gap for parents that need a carrier that will accommodate a slightly older baby and then into toddlerhood. Can also be used for babies from 7lbs to 12lbs but requires an infant insert for that.
One of the biggest advantages of this over the Boba 4G above, is that it has 4 different carry positions:
- Front facing-in
- Front facing-out
- Back carry
- Hip carry
It's also really comfortable for the wearer with a nice wide waist belt for lower back support and nice padded shoulder straps.
That and being ergonomic and hip healthy for baby, make the Ergo 360 a great choice for babies from roughly 4 months to 36 months.
- COMFORTABLE & ERGONOMIC AS BABY GROWS: Easy to adjust bucket seat supports your baby in an ergonomic natural "M" position in all carry positions from baby to toddler.
- COMFORTABLE FOR YOU: Exceptional lower back support with wide wraparound waistband maximizes comfort especially post C-section. Extra padded shoulder straps helps evenly distribute your baby's weight.
- ALL CARRY POSITIONS INCLUDED: Face baby in or out. Wear on the hip or back as baby grows (~4-36 months/12-33lbs or start with newborn infant insert ~0-4Months/7-12lbs, sold separately)
- CUSTOM FIT: Easily adjusts to fit multiple wearers from petite to larger body types (waistband adjusts 26-52", shoulder straps 28" to 48")
- THOUGHTFUL DESIGN: Easy breastfeeding & UPF 50+ tuckaway baby hood for sun & wind protection; Machine washable
What's to like about the Ergobaby 360
Multiple carry positions and great comfort.
What's not to like about the Ergobaby 360
Doesn't have any pockets and loud velcro waist belt.
3. Beco Toddler Carrier
Now we get into the first of the Toddler specific carriers in this list, the Beco Toddler.
The Beco Toddler is designed to carry toddlers from 20-60lbs.
Like the Boba 4G at the top of this list, the Beco carrier is a sleek, low profiles lightweight option.
Also, like the Boba 4G, the Beco has 2 carry positions front facing-in, and back carry. There isn't any option for facing-out.
One of the biggest differences between this and the Boba 4G is that it's designed specifically for toddlers and can carry an older, larger toddler more easily. It's not, however, suitable for babies under 20lbs.
What's to like about the Beco Toddler
A lightweight sleek, carrier that is toddler specific.
What's not to like about the Beco Toddler
No facing out option.
4. Tula Toddler Carrier
The second of out toddler-specific carriers in this list is the Tula Toddler.
The Tula Toddler carrier can carry toddlers from 25lbs to 60lbs.
Like the Beco Toddler above, the Tula Toddler, is a sleeker, more low profile option compared to something like the Ergobaby 360 above and Lillebaby CarryOn below.
It's also made to be toddler specific - which is great because it can focus on the best way to carry toddlers, without having to compromise in order to also accommodate smaller babies.
It features a wide padded waist belt and heavily padded shoulder straps for more comfort to accommodate a larger baby.
And of course, it promotes a hip healthy position for your toddler.
- ERGONOMIC M-POSITION SEAT: supports safe development for baby's body
- MULTIPLE ERGONOMIC POSITIONS: front and back carry options to provide a natural, ergonomic position best for long term, comfortable carrying that promotes healthy hip and spine development for baby
- EASY-TO-ADJUST DESIGN: allows for long-time carrier use from infancy to toddlerhood, can be used from 25 - 60 pounds
- DUAL-ADJUSTMENT PADDED STRAPS: provide optimal neck & shoulder comfort and offers quick and easy adjustments for multiple wearers
- WIDE PADDED WAISTBAND: provides superior comfort for all body types to help evenly distribute weight, also includes large front pocket for extra storage
What's to like about the Tula Toddler
Simple low profile design that's made specifically for toddler.
What's not to like about the Tula Toddler
No facing-out option.
5. Lillebaby CarryOn Toddler Carrier
Finally we come to the Lillebaby CarryOn, the most versatile of the Toddler specific options in this list.
The Lillebaby CarryOn can accommodate toddlers from 20lbs to 60lbs.
The Lillebaby offers 3 different carry positions:
- Front facing-in
- Hip carry
- Back carry
So, still no facing out option - but it does offer a hip carry option.
The carrier comes with a removable sleeping sun hood and 2 pockets.
It is also super comfortable, distributes weight well, and is hip healthy and highly adjustable to fit different sized parents.
The all season's version also has a zip-able panel that you can zip up when its cold and zip down when its warm. It also comes in an Airflow option, which is all mesh and doesn't have the zip-able panel.
- ERGONOMIC: Ideal carrier for growing toddlers and small children, 12 months and up. Carry your toddler ergonomically and comfortably as they grow. Weight Range: 20 - 60 lb
- 3 CARRY POSITIONS: Includes three supportive babywearing positions including front, hip and backpack carry for plenty of options for your little one on any adventure. CarryOn is the perfect transition from the COMPLETE collection.
- CARRIER ACCESSORIES: Includes one of a kind lumbar support, 3-way adjustable straps, removable hood and two pockets for storage.
- ALL SEASONS: Featuring an exclusive temperature-control panel that easily zips-up for baby's warmth and zips-down to expose cool, breathable, 3D mesh. 100% cotton, lightweight and machine washable.
- VERSATILE: The CarryOn features a wider and taller torso than most baby carriers, making it possibly the most versatile toddler carrier on the market. Perfect for older kids or siblings who still want to ride.
What's to like about the Lillebaby CarryOn
Super comfortable and and suitable for winter and summer with the all-seasons option.
What's not to like about the Lillebaby CarryOn
Still no facing-out option but I guess toddler carriers just don't seem to have this option.
Some kids like to be carried far beyond their first couple of years. For those kids, toddler carriers, like those listed above, are a great addition to your carrying arsenal. These are what we consider to be the best carriers for toddlers, currently on the market.
We have tried to select carriers that are:
- Hip healthy
- Comfortable for both baby and wearer
- Can accommodate kids up until minimum of 3 years
- Provide good weight distribution
If you're looking for a carrier that can accommodate a baby that will grow into a toddler, and can't see yourself wearing them past 3 years old, then the:
- Boba 4G; and
- Ergobaby 360
Are great options.
If you are looking for a carrier for a baby/toddler that is 20-25lbs or up and you want to carry them beyond 3 years old, then the:
- Beco Toddler;
- Tula Toddler; and
- Lillebaby CarryOn
are your best bets.
Check out the links under each carrier above for more information, current prices and availability.