This list of the best baby carriers for petite women has been carefully chosen to find baby carriers that are known to fit petite women well.
Manufacturers naturally design things to suit an average range of sizes. If you happen to fall outside that average range, it can be tricky to find a suitable carrier.
Fortunately, there are a number of options out there to suit petite women. The 5 below are what we consider to be the best. They've been chosen not only because they have been described as petite-women friendly but also because they are otherwise good carriers.
A lot of structured carriers are touted to go as small as 26" and be suitable for down to 5 feet tall. Their carrier might fit someone 5' with a 26" waist, but it still may not be optimal on a person with those specs and may not be comfortable.
And other considerations like a carrier being too heavy or too bulky is also important. Not all of the following carriers are going to be ideal for every petite woman, but all have reputations as petite-suitable, so its a great place to start your search.
Best Baby Carriers for Petite Women Reviews
1. Catbird Baby Pikkolo Baby Carrier
The Catbird Baby Pikkolo Baby Carrier is a lesser known carrier, but it's one that comes highly recommended for petite women.
The Pikkolo is kind of a cross between a structured carrier and a Mei Tai carrier.
And that helps it to be extremely adjustable - and it can adjust down to fit very small wearers. Not only that, but its also very sleek, so you won't have to worry about it being too bulky.
The waist belt also sits higher on the waist which can help for petite moms.
Finally the shoulder straps feature memory foam (the only carry that we've heard of that does) which is a great way to have comfortable shoulder straps without the bulk.
But besides being suitable for petite women, this is a great carrier. It
- Is versatile in the sense that it can accommodate baby from 8lbs to 40 lbs without infant insert (seat has an adjustable waist)
- Has 4 different carry positions (front facing-in, front facing-out, hip and back)
- Has a sleeping hood, which tucks away into a pocket
What's to like about the Catbird Baby Pikkolo
Very adjustable. Feels like a wrap or Mei Tai in terms of baby closeness, but easier to use.
What's not to like about the Catbird Baby Pikkolo
In order to keep using it when your baby gets bigger you'll need to get the sold separately waist support belt
2. LÍLLÉbaby Essentials
The Lillebaby Essentails is Lillebaby's simplest carrier - but its also well priced and known to fit petite moms well.
The Essentials carrier provides good even weight distribution and a generous amount of padding, making it easier for petite wearers who might struggle to carry their baby, particularly once they are a little bigger.
That plus highly adjustable shoulder straps and waist belt, help to make this a great option for petite wearers.
And besides being petite-mom-suitable the carrier is a great choice for some other reasons, like:
- Being hip healthy for baby
- Offering multiple carry positions (front facing-in, back and hip)
- Having a sun/sleeping hood and a generous pocket
- Being Easy to adjust the straps
The all-seasons model also has the advantage of being cool and breahtable in the summer and warmer in the winter months. The Essentials also comes in an Original model, which isn't as breathable for the summer.
With an infant insert it can accommodate babies from 7 to 45lbs but without the insert it's suitable for babies 15lbs to 45lbs.
- ERGONOMIC AND HIP-HEALTHY: Hip-healthy for baby with an adjustable seat, provides an ergonomic M-position seat supporting optimal development for baby's body.
- 4 CARRY POSITIONS: 4 versatile carrying positions including newborn front*, front, back and hip. Ideal for babies and toddlers weighing 7* - 45 lbs (*Newborn position with Infant Insert sold separately).
- COMFORT: Baby's weight is evenly distributed between the parent's hips and shoulders. Soft and durable 100% cotton cradles baby in supportive comfort.
- PRACTICAL: Machine washable, breathable mesh hood for protection or privacy while nursing, large cargo pocket, dual adjustments, generous padding, 3-way adjustable straps and more
- ALL SEASONS: Featuring an exclusive temperature-control panel that easily zips-up for baby's warmth and zips-down to expose cool, breathable, 3D mesh.
What's to like about the LÍLLÉbaby Essentials
Great price for the comfort and features and highly adjustable fit.
What's not to like about the LÍLLÉbaby Essentials
Requires a, sold separately, infant insert for carrying babies smaller than 15lbs.
3. Baby Tula Free-to-Grow
The Tula Free-to-Grow is a great carrier that you can carry a wide range of babies and also has a reputation as being petite mom suitable.
One of the great things about this option is that it doesn't require an infant insert for smaller babies. It can accommodate babies from 7lbs to 45lbs without having go get anything extra.
The Standard Tula is also petite mom suitable and would also be an option if you don't need to carry a baby smaller than 15lbs.
The Baby Tula is highly adjustable and most petite wearers have reported positively about how it fits. It's also nice and sleek and lightweight, so if you have issues with more bulky carriers, then this would suit you well.
As well as this, it also has other important characteristics, like:
- Being Hip Healthy
- Having back and front carry options
- Having a pocket and removable hood
The Free-to-Grow also comes in a Coast Mesh option - which is a more breathable mesh fabric for those in hot climates.
- INNOVATIVE BODY PANEL: adjusts in three width settings and two height settings to allow for an ergonomic snug position from newborn, infant and early toddlerhood. No infant insert needed!
- MULTIPLE ERGONOMIC POSITIONS: back carry and front carry options to provide a natural, ergonomic position best for long term, comfortable carrying that promotes healthy hip and spine development for baby
- DUAL-ADJUSTMENT PADDED STRAPS: provide optimal neck & shoulder comfort and offers quick and easy adjustments for multiple wearers
- WIDE PADDED WAISTBAND: provides superior comfort to help evenly distribute weight, also includes large front pocket
- BREATHABLE AND LIGHTWEIGHT COTTON: hand-made from 100% OEKO-TEX Standard 100 certified fabric
What's to like about the Baby Tula Free-to-Grow
A lightweight and sleek carrier that can accommodate newborns without the need for an infant insert.
What's not to like about the Baby Tula Free-to-Grow
No facing out option and no hip carry option.
4. Boba Wrap
The great advantage of using a wrap, apart from being really affordable, is that you wrap it to yourself, so it fits to your size easily.
We've chosen the Boba here as its our favorite, but any good quality wrap is a suitable solution for petite moms.
The Boba wrap is a quality wrap that keeps baby nice and close and snug.
Because you wrap it yourself, you wrap it according to your own size, so for fitting petite moms, it's a great option. Smaller wearers will find that there will be a lot of left over material, which is one potential downside but this can easily be wrapped around or tucked away.
Some other great points for the Boba Wrap are:
- Soft and stretchy material
- Material free from dyes and chemicals
- Easier to breastfeed in, compared to a structured carrier
- No straps, buckles or anything else that could make it uncomfortable
- Good for babies hips (assuming you tie it correctly)
- Easy front and infant tying styles suit the way you move
- Machine washable for the easiest of cleans
- Hands-free adventuring in a variety of colors and patterns
- Soft, stretchy material made of 95% Cotton, 5% Spandex for flexible comfort that lasts
- Free from any harmful dyes or chemicals; Breastfeeding-ready any time and anywhere
What's to like about the Boba Wrap
Keeps baby nice and close and adjusts to any sized wearer.
What's not to like about the Boba Wrap
A steeper learning curve for putting it on and longer to do, compared to with a structured carrier.
5. Baby K'Tan (XS)
Finally we come to the Baby K'Tan wrap.
Like the Boba Wrap, this is a wrap and has all the benefits of a wrap, with one distinct difference. It comes pre-tied, making it much easier to learn to use.
The Baby K'Tan Original comes in different sizes. So for the petite wearer there is the option of XXS, XS or S, depending on your particular size.
This is great because this means that you won't have any issues with left over material or issues with putting it on outside in wet conditions.
Besides that it comes with all the benefits of a wrap:
- Keeping baby nice and close
- Soft comfortable fit with no straps of buckles
- Suitable for breastfeeding
- THE ORIGINAL WRAP WITHOUT THE WRAPPING: Ready-to-wear out of the box, easily switch between five different carry positions without the confusion or frustration of a traditional wrap. The Baby K'tan Baby Carrier's patented double-loop design, natural cotton fabric, and unique one-way stretch slips on like a t-shirt and is comfortable and secure for preemies, newborns, infants and toddlers. Safe for babies birth up to 35 lbs.
- FIT FOR YOU: From XXS to XL, the Baby K'tan Baby Carrier is sized to fit the parent or adult carrying the child; age or weight of child is not a factor. USE SIZING CHART. Each person is shaped differently. Like clothing, some people may fit into more than one size or fall in-between sizes. If in-between sizes or unsure of sizing, SIZE DOWN. The cotton fabric has more stretch than structured carriers. Use pre-pregnancy size to determine your Baby K'tan Baby Carrier size.
- HIP HEALTHY AND SECURE: The International Hip Dysplasia Institute has acknowledged the Baby K'tan Baby Carrier as a "hip-healthy" product when used as directed. The Baby K'tan Baby Carrier's wide fabric loops support ergonomic positioning for hip healthy development and provide soft head support for baby. The Baby K'tan Baby Carrier's adjustable connector loop provides optimal back support for the parent or adult wearing the child.
- EASY TO CLEAN, CONVENIENT: Made of 100% natural cotton knit, the ORIGINAL Baby K'tan Baby Carrier is as comfortable as it is easy to keep clean. Machine washable, dryer safe. All Baby K'tan Baby Carriers come in a matching carry bag that converts to a sash which provides added support for certain positions. Simply turn the carry bag inside out and it turns into a sash with a convenient pocket. When you are finished using the sash, turn in right-side in and you have a carry bag to hold your Baby K'tan Baby Carrier.
- EASY AS 1-2-3: The Baby K'tan Baby Carrier enables hands-free, buckle-free, hassle-free babywearing anytime, anywhere. Take your Baby K'tan Baby Carrier out of the carry bag, double up the loops like a necklace or scarf, put the carrier over your head with the connector loop behind your neck, place one arm through each loop and then lower the outer loop to your hip. Now you are ready for one of the five positions of the Baby K'tan Baby Carrier.
What's to like about the Baby K'Tan
It comes pre-wrapped, making it faster and easier to set up.
What's not to like about the Baby K'Tan
Since it's not one-size-fits-most, getting the sizing right is important can be tricky.
If you're a petite women, it may be harder to find a carrier that fits you well. So, hopefully this list of the best baby carriers for petite women has helped you to narrow down your options to help you to find something suitable.
As well as finding carriers that fit petite women better, we have also tried to select carriers that are:
- Hip healthy
- Comfortable for both baby and wearer
- Provide good weight distribution
- Not too bulky
If you are looking for a wrap or think that a wrap is the best option for you, then the:
- Boba Wrap; and the
- Baby K'Tan Original
Are great options.
If you are leaning more towards a structured carrier, then the:
- Catbird Baby Pikkolo;
- Lillebaby Essentials; and the
- Tula Free-to-Grow
are your best bets.
Check out the links under each carrier above for more information, current prices and availability.