This list of the best baby carriers for newborns has been created so that you can see the best, without needing to wade through the many available carriers out there. And without having to decipher whether or not they will be suitable for a newborn.
If you're a parent who has experienced a newborn baby who will only be calm when you're carrying them standing up, then you'll be aware of just what a life save a baby carrier can be.
If you're about to become a parent for the first time, then maybe you've read or been told just how valuable a carrier can be for an unsettled baby, but you're not sure where to start.
Not all baby carriers are suitable for newborns. And a lot of parents (myself included) have bought carriers that aren't newborn suitable and had to either get an infant insert to make them suitable, had to buy a whole new carrier or had to wait until their baby was bigger until they used a carrier with them.
This list is here to ensure that you get the right carrier for your newborn, first time.
Note: This list is just for structured carriers and doesn't include wraps, mei tais or slings. That's for another list!
Best Baby Carriers for Newborns Reviews
1. BABYBJORN Baby Carrier Original
The BabyBjorn baby carrier Original is probably the easiest carrier, ever, to put on and to take off, even by yourself.
- are a first time baby wearer; or
- you also have a toddler to look after; or
- you simply like things to be easy (don't we all!)
Then that ease is something you're really going to appreciate.
The Babybjorn Original is really a newborn/young baby specialist carrier - so you know it's going to be suitable for your new baby.
The downside of that is you will need to get a second carrier, once you're baby is bigger, if you intend to continue to baby wear. The maximum weight on the Babybjorn Original is 25lbs, but most would have a hard time carrying a baby larger than 15lbs in it. That gives you until around 4 months, depending on the size of your baby.
But if that's no issue, then the Babybjorn Original is a great option and comes in at a really reasonable price (as it should for a carrier that lasts only around 4 months).
- Provides essential closeness and contact to help you bond with your new baby
- Two safe and ergonomic carrying positions: baby facing-in and baby facing-out
- Perfect for newborns - no infant insert needed. From birth to approximately 12 months
- Developed with pediatricians to give the proper support for baby's head, neck, spine and hips
- Small, safe and easy to use - fits perfectly and securely with only a few adjustments
What's to like about the Babybjorn Original Carrier
It's not only easy to get on, but it's super easy to get baby out, without even having to take off the shoulder straps. Super handy if your baby has fallen asleep and you need to transfer them to their crib.
What's not to like about the Babybjorn Baby Carrier Original
There is no waist belt, this means all of the weight is on your back. This, and some concerns about the hip position, make this a carrier that you only really want to use in short stints.
Note: Babybjorn have just released their Babybjorn Baby Carrier Mini, which is going to replace the Original. It's an updated version of the Original that is more ergonomic and does a better job of putting baby's hips into an "M" position.
2. LÍLLÉbaby Complete Carrier
The LÍLLÉbaby Complete is one of those carriers that does-it-all. Different from the Babybjorn Original above, the LÍLLÉbaby Complete can accommodate your baby right from newborn (minimum 7lbs) all the way to 45lbs, without the need for an infant insert.
Thanks to an adjustable seat, this carrier can be used with newborns, without the need of an infant insert. That means:
- A more breathable carrier without that extra material in there
- An easier setup
- No hassle to get a separate infant insert
- Don't have the cost of the extra infant insert
But being able to carry from newborn to toddler (or even pre-shooler) isn't the only thing that makes this carrier versatile.
There are also 6 different carry positions, so that you can carry baby in a variety of ways.
There are 2 ways you can carry your newborn:
- Fetal (front facing-in, with legs tucjed into carrier)
- Infant (front facing-in, with legs out
And 4 other ways to carry once your baby is bigger
- Front facing-out
- Toddler facing-in
It's ergonomic, comfortable, comes with a sun hood and adjustable head support for newborns, so overall very newborn friendly and something you can keep for when your baby gets older too.
There are 3 different versions of the Complete that you can get too:
- Airflow (cooler in summer)
- All Seasons (can adjust for the seasons)
So with the All Seasons version, its also versatile in terms of the seasons!
- SIX POSITIONS: The LÍLLÉbaby COMPLETE baby carrier combines all essential features, including lumbar support, in 1 light-weight carrier with 6 ergonomic positions for "360 degree" carrying: Front: fetal, infant, outward & toddler; Hip carry; & Back carry
- VERSATILE CARRYING: With our two-way straps allowing you to carry backpack style or forwards, large zippered storage pocket, removable sleeping hood & extendable torso, the LÍLLÉbaby Complete Baby Carrier provides comfort & support for you and your child.
- HANDS-FREE COMFORT: Whether you're hiking a trail or walking your dog, LÍLLÉbaby's baby carriers and toddler carriers let you carry your child in comfort and style, and the adjustable side panels widen or narrow the seat for comfortable hip positioning.
- NATURAL BOND WITH BABY: LÍLLÉbaby makes baby products that bring functional style to parents. We want parents to attain the simple luxury of keeping their baby close while building a natural bond in comfort and style with our baby carriers and slings.
- INCOMPARABLE QUALITY: The comfortable, ergonomic design of our baby & toddler carriers, slings, wraps& baby carrier accessories outshine those from Infantino, Ergobaby, Tula, Moby, Boba, Beco, K'tan, BabyBjorn, Sleepy Wrap, Boppy, Fisher Price or Graco
What's to like about the The LÍLLÉbaby Complete Carrier
It's super versatile in terms of the carry positions, the fact that its suitable for newborns all the way up to 3-4 year olds - and its ready for newborns without the need for an infant insert.
That and the adjustbale head support and sun hood, make this is a great newborn option.
What's not to like about the The LÍLLÉbaby Complete Carrier
Compared to the BabyBjorn Original it can be quite tricky to put on by yourself. Bit of a learning curve there.
3. Tula Free-To-Grow Baby Carrier
The Baby Tula Free-To-Grow baby carrier is a great options for newborns that doesn't require an infant insert. It's also a less bulky alternative to a lot of other carriers that boast the ability to carry your baby from 7lbs to 45lbs.
The Baby Tula Free-To-Grow is a nice low-profile option, if you are looking for something sleeker and more subtle.
But it still boasts the ability to carry your baby right from newborn (minimum 7lbs) all the way through to 45lbs, without the need for an infant insert.
It's also designed to put your baby in an ergonomically seated position that's good for hip health plus it has a removable hood to protect your newborn from the elements and a convenient pocket to carry your keys, phone etc.
If you're looking for something that's stylish and doesn't make it look like you're about to do a big hike into the forest, then the Free-To-Grow is worth considering as your newborn (and beyond) carrier.
- INNOVATIVE BODY PANEL: adjusts in three width settings and two height settings to allow for an ergonomic snug position from newborn, infant and early toddlerhood. No infant insert needed!
- MULTIPLE ERGONOMIC POSITIONS: back carry and front carry options to provide a natural, ergonomic position best for long term, comfortable carrying that promotes healthy hip and spine development for baby
- DUAL-ADJUSTMENT PADDED STRAPS: provide optimal neck & shoulder comfort and offers quick and easy adjustments for multiple wearers
- WIDE PADDED WAISTBAND: provides superior comfort to help evenly distribute weight, also includes large front pocket
- BREATHABLE AND LIGHTWEIGHT COTTON: hand-made from 100% OEKO-TEX Standard 100 certified fabric
What's to like about the Tula Free-To-Grow Carrier
The Free-to-Grow is light and breathable and has a sleek, low profile design that will appeal to many. But most importantly for newborns, it doesn't require an infant insert, and has a sun hood for protection.
What's not to like about the Tula Free-To-Grow Baby Carrier
It only has 2 carry positions - Front Facing-In and Back - there's no option to have baby facing-out, which a lot of babies love once they are older.
4. Ergo OMNI 360
Often cited as the most comfortable baby carrier going around, for both parent and baby, the Ergo OMNI 360 is almost one of the most versatile.
Like the Lillebaby Complete above, the Ergo OMNI 360:
- Has multiple carry positions (front facing-in, front facing-out, back and hip_
- Doesn't require an infant insert for newborns
- Can accommodate babies all the way from 7lbs to 45lbs; and
- Can be adjusted to fit many different sized wearers
The OMNI 360 also comes with a built in adjustable hood and a detachable pocket to carry your keys, phone etc.
It's also ergonomic and hip healthy to make sure your babies developing hips are in a comfortable and safe position.
The OMNI 360 also comes in a Cool Air Mesh version for hotter climates.
- ALL-IN-ONE CARRIER: Adapts to your growing baby from newborn to toddler (~0-48 months/7-45lbs). All carry positions included, face baby in or out, wear on the hip or back. Large storage pouch included. The only carrier you need.
- COMFORT: Exceptional lower back comfort with padded lumbar support waist belt & extra padded shoulder straps with the option to wear 2 ways: crossed or "backpack style". Waist belt can be worn high or low to maximize comfort, especially post C-section.
- ERGONOMIC AS BABY GROWS: Acknowledged as hip healthy by the International Hip Dysplasia Institute. Adjustable bucket seat supports baby in an ergonomic natural "M" position in all carry positions.
- CUSTOM FIT: Fits multiple wearers from petite to larger body types (waist belt adjusts 26-52", shoulder straps 28-46") & easy to reach buckles to make adjustments.
- THOUGHTFUL DESIGN: Easy breastfeeding & UPF 50+ tuck away baby hood for sun & wind protection; Machine Washable, 100% Cotton
What's to like about the Ergo OMNI 360
It's designed to be great for newborns but its also a carrier that you can use throughout your baby's carrying days, so you'll only ever need the one carrier. That and its super comfortable.
What's not to like about the Ergo OMNI 360
It can apparently feel quite big for smaller parents and the pocket can be difficult to access with one hand.
5. Beco Gemini Carrier
The Beco Gemini rivals boasts the versatility of the Lillebaby Complete and the Ergo OMNI 360, in terms of carrier positions, but has a look and feel more like the Tula Free-to-Grow.
Importantly, to make this list, the Beco Gemini is a carrier that can accommodate babies from newborn (minimum 7lbs) to 35lbs, without the need of an infant insert.
It's also a carrier that is ergonomic, hip healthy and comfortable for both baby and parent. Which is of course also a must for a good newborn suitable carrier.
Plus it has all the carry positions that you'll need for when your baby gets bigger:
- Front facing-in
- Front facing-out
It's a sleeker less bulky alternative to the likes of the Ergo OMNI 360 and Lillebaby Complete, but offers similar versatility. It's also been known to be easier to get on and off than a lot of other carriers.
Comes in original version and a Cool Mesh version.
- HAPPY BABY, HAPPY PARENTS - Beco brings you only the very best in baby carrying quality! This remarkable Soft Structured Baby Carrier is not only versatile with four different carry options, but amazingly comfortable for both you and your little one. That paired with unmatched durability is why we're the premier choice in ergonomic baby carriers!
- FOR YOUNG AND "OLD" - When you buy Beco, you're buying for years to come! Our innovative little carrier is designed to support your child from newborn to toddler (7-35 lbs / 3.5 - 16 kg) without worry. You don't grow out of Beco, because we make sure that we grow with you.
- CLOUD 9 - With superior padding in our adjustable straps (23" - 45") and ergonomic comfort support for both you and your child, you can say goodbye to back pain and other hip and shoulder related carrying issues. Best of all, with the added padding by the leg holes, you can rest assured that your little tyke is sitting pretty in style and comfort no matter how you carry!
- GUARANTEED - With so many options to chose from, we know that picking the right carrier for you can be a harrowing venture. That's why we offer a full LIFETIME GUARANTEE on every carrier we sell! If for any reason our sling doesn't meet your expectations, just sent it back our way for a full no questions asked refund!
What's to like about the Beco Gemini
The Gemini is sleek and newborn suitable but is also very versatile and comfortable.
What's not to like about the Beco Gemini
There's no sun hood. And this is a bit of bug bear for those who have their newborns in the summer. The newborn head support can act as a bit of a hood, but still won't cover top of baby's head.
So, there you have what we consider to be the best baby carriers for newborns currently available.
For all of the carriers above, it was important that they were:
- Newborn suitable without the need of an infant insert
- Comfortable for baby and wearer
- Ergonomic and hip healthy
For a lot of these carriers, there is the bonus of being able to use them as all-in-one carriers that are also suitable for older babies as well as newborns.
Check out the links under each carrier above for more information, current prices and availability.