Baby wearing is not strictly just for moms. That’s why we created this list of the best baby carriers for men.
Dads and other men in baby’s life also need and want to use a carrier to carry baby.
They might be a single dad, the primary caregiver or equal caregiver and need to wear the carrier as often or more often than mom.
Or they might be the kind of dad that is the occasional wearer or maybe you need a carrier for uncle, grandad or child minder. Either way, the following is the list of carriers that are best suited to men, in our humble opinion.
Dan and I are both equal caregivers for our kids, so we need a carrier that’s suitable for both mom and dad. So, we’ve included some carriers here that are more suited to men and some that are versatile enough to be good for both.
Note: This list is just for structured carriers and doesn't include wraps, mei tais or slings.
Best Baby Carriers for Men Reviews
1. Mission Critical Baby Carrier
No men’s baby carrier list would be complete without including the Mission Critical. This carrier is built for men from the ground up. So, you know that it’s male friendly.
Putting this thing on you feel more like you’re about to go into battle than about to carry a baby for a leisurely stroll. But don’t let this fool you into thinking that its not comfortable – or that it’s not soft for baby.
Some cool features about the Mission Critical Carrier:
- Sun hood that you can tuck away and there’s plenty of room in that space to use as a pocket
- The front of the carrier has a webbing system that you can easily attach things to (like bottle holders, pouches etc)
- The back of the carrier has that same webbing system (MOLLE), which allows you to attach one of their backpacks too. This makes it easy to wear a backpack and the carrier at the same time, which isn’t usually that comfortable with a lot of carriers
- There’s a removable liner that you can take out and wash
- High waist belt and vest like fit increases mobility
That plus it has the option of having baby facing-in or facing-out (front only) and can accommodate babies from 8lbs to 35lbs (roughly newborn to 3 years).
Though, 8lbs might be a little small though as the carrier sits a little low for smaller babies.
A great option for single dads, if only dad will be doing the carrying or if mom and dad have a separate carrier.
- Front and rear facing baby carrier designed for babies approximately 8-35 lbs.
- Multi-pocket interior with fully customizable MOLLE front and back panel.
- Comfortable, ergonomic design for even weight distribution and maximum back support.
- Adjustable lumbar support to help relieve shoulder pressure.
- Built in sun shield attachment to create a protective sun barrier for your baby.
What's to like about the Mission Critical Carrier
You can easily attach a backpack to the back which is great if you have lots of stuff to carry and it also balances out the weight.
What's not to like about the Mission Critical Carrier
There's no back carry option and the hip position of baby in it is questionable.
2. Moby Wrap Evolution
If you're not concerned about having a manly look, and are happy to wear a wrap, they are a great option for dads.
The Moby Wrap Evolution is a one-size-fits all option that is suitable for men to use as well.
Even though it's not as masculine as something like the Mission Critical above, it does come in neutral colors - like Black and Charcoal.
The Evolution Moby Wrap is a more breathable version of their Classic wrap, so for those men who sweat more, it's a great option, there.
You can carry babies from 8lbs to 30lbs and you feel incredibly close to them in this wrap, making for a great bonding experience.
What's to like about the The Moby Wrap Evolution
Fits a large range of wearers. Keeps baby close.
What's not to like about the Moby Wrap Evolution
A learning curve for learning how to tie it. Some men might feel too effeminate in it.
3. Stokke MyCarrier Mesh
Stokke is a lesser known brand, but their MyCarrier is great for moms and dads alike.
So it's a great option if you want a carrier that works for both.
Featuring a very gender neutral design, most men will feel comfortable wearing this carrier without it making him feel effeminate.
But the design isn't the only thing that makes this carrier suitable for men - it's also highly adjustable and can fit many sized adults, including men. That, plus the mesh version is nice and breathable, so you won't get too sweaty in it.
Outside of being male appropriate, the Stokke MyCarrier has the other carrier bases covered like:
- Being ergonomic and hip healthy for baby
- Appropriate for babies 7.7lbs to 33lbs
- 3 different carry positions - front facing-in, front facing-out and back carry
The Stokke MyCarrier is different than a lot of other carriers, in that it has a separate back carrier. Both the front carrier and back carrier can be removed from the main harness and you attach either the front of back carrier to the harness depending on which one you need.
- Adjustable to ensure optimal support and comfort for you and your baby
- Ergonomic and tailor-made design
- Inward facing, outward facing and back carrying options
- Acknowledged as a hip-healthy baby carrier by the International Hip Dysplasia Institute and medical experts
What's to like about the Stokke MyCarrier Mesh
Breathable material and a neutral looking design coupled with being a safe and comfortable carrier make this a great option for men.
What's not to like about the Stokke MyCarrier Mesh
With 3 separate parts, could be tricky for some not so technically minded. Read the instructions guys!
4. Ergo OMNI 360 Cool Air Mesh
The Ergo OMNI 360 Cool Air Mesh is a nice breathable version of the OMNI 360, which is one of the most comfortable carriers around.
As well as being cool and breathable (great for men who sweat a lot) and super-comfortable, the OMNI 360 Cool Air Mesh is super versatile:
- Has multiple carry positions (front facing-in, front facing-out, back and hip)
- Doesn't require an infant insert for newborns
- Can accommodate babies all the way from 7lbs to 45lbs; and
- Can be adjusted to fit many different sized wearers (waist belt adjusts from 26" to 52")
That last point is great news for dads!
It can also accommodate most moms, so it's a great option to use between both parents.
Whilst it might not be as manly or gender neutral as the Mission Critical and the Stokke above, it's not super feminine either - provided you pick one of the more neutral designs.
The OMNI 360 also comes with an adjustable sun hood, a detachable pocket, and is acknowledged as being hip healthy.
- ALL-IN-ONE CARRIER: Adapts to your growing baby from newborn to toddler (7-45lbs). All carry positions included, face baby in or out, wear on the hip or back. Baby hood for sun protection (UPF 50+) & privacy
- COMFORT: Exceptional lower back comfort with padded lumbar support waist belt & extra padded shoulder straps with the option to wear 2 ways: crossed or "backpack style". Waist belt can be worn high or low to maximize comfort.
- COOL & BREATHABLE: Our Cool Air Mesh collection carriers are made with soft and durable mesh fabric that provides our renowned ergonomic support for baby while allowing for ultimate breathability and airflow
- EASY TO USE: Easy, one-handed slider adjustment allows you to quickly switch baby to face in or out on the fly
- ERGONOMIC AS BABY GROWS: Acknowledged as hip healthy by the International Hip Dysplasia Institute. Adjustable bucket seat supports baby in an ergonomic natural "M" position in all carry positions.
What's to like about the OMNI 360 Cool Air Mesh
It's nice and breathable for dads and highly adjustable to fit both men and women of most sizes.
What's not to like about the OMNI 360 Cool Air Mesh
Not super masculine - but not overly feminine either.
5. Beco Gemini Cool
The Beco Gemini Cool is Beco's more breathable version of their popular Gemini carrier.
Which is great if you're a man who needs something more breathable.
Like the Ergo OMNI 360 above, its not ultra masculine, but it's not super feminine either. Unless you're looking for something really manly, it's acceptably neutral, in our opinion (Dan has confirmed he's cool with it!)
The Gemini cool features the following carry positions:
- Front facing-in
- Front facing-out
It's a sleeker less bulky alternative to the likes of the Ergo OMNI 360 but offers similar versatility.
That plus its hip healthy, comfortable and suitable for newborns without the need for an infant insert.
- HAPPY BABY, HAPPY PARENTS - Beco brings you only the very best in baby carrying quality! This remarkable Soft Structured Baby Carrier is not only versatile with four different carry options, but amazingly comfortable for both you and your little one. That paired with unmatched durability is why we're the premier choice in ergonomic baby carriers!
- FOR YOUNG AND "OLD" - When you buy Beco, you're buying for years to come! Our innovative little carrier is designed to support your child from newborn to toddler (7-35 lbs / 3.5 - 16 kg) without worry. You don't grow out of Beco, because we make sure that we grow with you.
- CLOUD 9 - With superior padding in our adjustable straps (23" - 45") and ergonomic comfort support for both you and your child, you can say goodbye to back pain and other hip and shoulder related carrying issues. Best of all, with the added padding by the leg holes, you can rest assured that your little tyke is sitting pretty in style and comfort no matter how you carry!
- GUARANTEED - With so many options to chose from, we know that picking the right carrier for you can be a harrowing venture. That's why we offer a full LIFETIME GUARANTEE on every carrier we sell! If for any reason our sling doesn't meet your expectations, just sent it back our way for a full no questions asked refund!
What's to like about the Beco Gemini
The Gemini Cool is light and breathable, but also very versatile.
What's not to like about the Beco Gemini
The carrier doesn't have a sun hood. A downside if you live in a sunny climate.
There are a lot of versatile carriers today that can adjust to fit a wide range of wearers. So, men are being thought of. But not all carriers can accommodate men and some are better than others.
The list above highlights what we consider to be the best baby carriers for men, currently.
We have tried to select carriers that are:
- Fit men well
- Aren't too feminine looking
- Are otherwise good carriers
If you're really looking for a masculine looking carrier, then the:
- Mission Critical Baby Carrier; and
- Stokke MyCarrier
Both fit that bill well.
If you're not too concerned about that then the:
- Moby Wrap Evolution;
- Ergo OMNI 360 Cool Air Mesh; and
- Beco Gemini Cool
Are also great options.
Check out the links under each carrier above for more information, current prices and availability.