The best baby carrier for winter is one that can keep your baby warm and dry when carrying them in those freezing winter months. This list gives you some great options for winter.
Getting a baby carrier for winter can be tricky, unless you are intending on using different carriers in the summer and winter.
With a summer suitable carrier, you can always get a winter cover for it (if your brand of carrier has that option) and/or you can dress your baby in more clothes.
However, if you intend to use your winter-suitable carrier in summer you can’t remove material and there’s only so few clothes you can put on your baby. A carrier that isn’t that breathable may not be a great option in summer.
So, this list has options that are both good in winter and summer (all seasons) and options that will be great for winter but not so good for summer (for those caregivers that will have separate carriers depending on the season).
Best Baby Carrier for Winter Reviews
1. Moby Wrap
Wraps are a great winter option - which is why there are 3 of them featured in this list.
And it's easy to see why, when you think of a wrap as essentially a big blanket!
The Moby wrap, the name synonymous with wraps, offers good warmth for the winter (coupled with appropriate winter clothing, of course).
Not only that but its a great way to keep baby close - this is not only good for bonding but it also doubles as extra body heat for those cold winter months. If you're dressed warm and feeling warm, then baby will benefit from that warmth too.
Not really suitable for going out in the rain, but for dry cold days, it's a great option. We live in the Pacific Northwest, so rain cover is essential, but you can pair the Moby Wrap with something like the Mama Baby Poncho.
Also, not the most breathable for summer, which would require a second carrier for summer, if you like to carry your baby in the heat too. But since the Moby Wrap is really reasonably priced, that should be doable for most.
- Uses your entire back, as well as your shoulders, to carry the weight of your baby
- Moby Wrap is a wide piece of fabric that is wrapped over both shoulders
- There are no buckles, snaps or other fasteners
- Includes easy to follow instructional guide
- 100% Cotton
What's to like about the Moby Wrap
Soft stretchy, comfy material means baby will not only be warm but also nice and cozy.
What's not to like about the Moby Wrap
Not suitable for outdoors if its raining, which would require getting an extra accessory.
2. Boba Wrap
Very similar to the Moby Wrap, but another option, is the Boba Wrap.
Like the Moby Wrap, wrapping your baby in the Boba Wrap, is like wrapping them up in a blanket. Keep their feet inside and they'll be even warmer. But you can still have feet out, you'll just need to make sure they are wearing suitable clothing.
You'll want to make sure they're wearing winter appropriate clothing in the winter anyway, even if inside the wrap.
Also like the Moby Wrap, the Boba Wrap takes advantage of your body heat to also help to keep baby warm. Make sure that you are warm enough when carrying baby in cold weather. The warmer you are, the warmer baby is.
- Easy front and infant tying styles suit the way you move
- Machine washable for the easiest of cleans
- Hands-free adventuring in a variety of colors and patterns
- Soft, stretchy material made of 95% Cotton, 5% Spandex for flexible comfort that lasts
- Free from any harmful dyes or chemicals; Breastfeeding-ready any time and anywhere
What's to like about the Boba Wrap
Warm, comfy and cozy for baby and wearer.
What's not to like about the Boba Wrap
A bit of a learning curve to learn how to tie it.
3. Baby K'Tan Original Wrap
The final of 3 wrap carriers in this list, the Baby K'Tan Original is a little different.
It comes pre-wrapped, making it easier to use than the other wraps. It's also a little more pricey, but not by that much, and still a really affordable baby carrying option.
Like the other Wraps, the Baby K'Tan has the advantage of being like a cozy blanket - all the more cozy from Mom or Dad's body heat.
It has all the upsides and downsides of a traditional wrap, but it's just easier to use.
- A WRAP WITHOUT WRAPPING: Ready-to-wear out of the box, easily switch between five different carry positions without the challenge of a traditional wrap that can be confusing or frustrating. The Baby K'tan Baby Carrier's patented double-loop design and unique one-way stretch slips on like a t-shirt and is versatile and secure for preemies, newborns, infants and toddlers. Safe for babies birth up to 35 lbs.
- SIZED FOR THE PARENT: From XXS to XL, the Baby K'tan Baby Carrier is sized to fit the parent or adult who will be carrying the child; age or weight of child is not a factor. USE SIZING CHART. Each person is shaped differently, and like clothing, some people may fit into more than one size or fall in-between sizes. If in-between sizes or unsure of sizing, or 5'2" or under, SIZE DOWN. Use pre-pregnancy size to determine your Baby K'tan Baby Carrier size.
- HIP HEALTHY AND SECURE: The International Hip Dysplasia Institute has acknowledged the Baby K'tan Baby Carrier as a "hip-healthy" product when used as directed. The Baby K'tan Baby Carrier's wide fabric loops support ergonomic positioning for hip healthy development and provide soft head support for baby. The Baby K'tan Baby Carrier's adjustable connector loop provides optimal back support for the parent or adult wearing the child.
- EASY TO CLEAN, CONVENIENT: Made of 100% natural cotton jersey knit, the Baby K'tan ORIGINAL Baby Carrier is as comfortable as it is easy to keep clean. Machine wash, dryer safe. All Baby K'tan Baby Carriers come in a matching carry bag that converts to a sash which provides added support for certain positions. Simply turn the carry bag inside out and it turns into a sash with a convenient pocket. When you are finished using the sash, turn in right-side in and you have a carry bag to hold your Baby K'tan Baby Carrier.
- EASY AS 1-2-3: The Baby K'tan Baby Carrier enables hands-free, buckle-free, hassle-free babywearing anytime, anywhere. Take your Baby K'tan Baby Carrier out of the carry bag, double up the loops like a necklace or scarf, put the carrier over your head with the connector loop behind your neck, place one arm through each loop and then lower the outer loop to your hip. Now you are ready for one of the five positions of the Baby K'tan Baby Carrier.
What's to like about the Baby K'Tan Original
Comes pre-wrapped, so you only need to learn how to position your baby correctly in it. You don't have to learn how to also wrap it.
What's not to like about the Baby K'Tan Original
Still not an all winter weather solution - still need a rain cover to be something you can use in wet weather.
4. Ergo Carrier + Winter Cover
If the idea of learning how to wrap a wrap seems like a tricky foreign thing to do, then a great winter solution is to use the Ergo Winter Cover.
If you pair one of Ergo's Cool Air Mesh options with a winter cover, then you have both summer and winter covered!
Using Ergo's winter cover (or rain cover if you're winter climate is wet but not that cold) is a great all round solution. If you get one of their Cool Air Mesh covers, you have an all seasons carrier that can tackle any weather.
And you can take advantage of the other benefits of something like an Ergo carrier, like:
- Versatile - multi carry positions
- Versatile - fits many different sized wearers
- Versatile - can fit babies from quite small to quite big
- Easy - easier and faster to put on than a wrap
It's certainly a more pricey option. The cover alone is as much as a wrap, and that's before you buy the carrier. But it does give you an all round solution that will cover any weather and cover all of the baby carrying years - as well as being something that both mom and dad will fit into.
- Water resistant shell protects baby from rain while fleece lining keeps baby warm
- Compatible with any Ergobaby Carrier
- Easily attaches via snaps at shoulder straps
- Folds up compactly for on-the-go access
- Machine washable
What's to like about the Ergo Winter Cover
Converts your summer suitable Ergo carrier into a winter suitable one.
What's not to like about the Ergo Winter Cover
Only fits the Ergo properly, so it limits your options for carriers.
5. Bebamour Universal All Season Carrier Cover
The Bebamour Universal All Season Carrier Cover is a great option for those that already have a carrier and want to make it winter friendly - or for those who are trying to find a winter/summer solution.
Unlike the Ergo Winter Cover, the Bebamour Carrier Cover is made to fit all brands of carrier. It can even work as a winter stroller cover.
It's also a less expensive option than the Ergo.
The hood is removable and there is a convenient pocket - which is clever given that it would otherwise cover the pocket on your carrier (if your carrier has one).
- COVERS ALL BABY CARRIERS - Front or backpack carrier or hip carrier. The baby carrier cover is easily to snaps onto any baby carrier. It is also a thick stroller blanket, so use as a stroller winter cover, or nursing cover, or poncho, or blanket.
- SUITABLE FOR ALL SEASONS - Lightweight fabric and functional ways are the attractive character for you to choose. It can protects your child who is from 0-5 years; keeps baby warm,dry and clean.Sure you and your family will like its convenient.
- CAREFUL DESIGN - Big convenience pocket keeps parent's hands warm and it's roomy enough to easily keep the daily things such as cell-phones, keys and so on. There are zippers on the right and left of the cover for baby foots, you can close the zippers to give baby warm when the winter day, and open the zipper give baby cool when the hot day.
- DETACHABLE HAT WITH ZIPPER AND BUCKLE - The head cover can be a hat which will be detachable and reversible. You can use it when you put your baby front or backpack.
- NO MACHINE WASHING - Please hand washing with mild detergent only,to avoid the product damaged.
What's to like about the Bebamour Carrier Cover
It fits with most carriers, so you're not restricted to brands - or if you already have a carrier it should fit.
What's not to like about the Bebamour Carrier Cover
Questionable durability and some questions over how suitable it is for really cold climates.
If you're looking for the best options for a baby carrier for winter , those are what we consider to be the best 5 options.
If you're looking for something that is a good option or cold days but aren't interested in carrying in wet weather, then the:
- Moby Wrap;
- Boba Wrap; and the
- Baby K'Tan Original
Are all great options. Or you could get a poncho or other rain cover to go with them, if you also want to take them out in wet weather. Of course an umbrella works too - but are never fool proof!
If you want to use a structured carrier rather than a wrap, but still want to be able to use it in cold and we weather then using a winter or rain cover like the:
- Ergobaby Winter Cover; or the
- Bebamour Universal All Season Carrier Cover
Are great options, with the Ergobaby cover fitting Ergo carriers best, of course, and the Bebaour cover fitting most other carriers.
Check out the links under each carrier above for more information, current prices and availability.