The best baby carrier for summer is one that breathes well and works to keep both baby and wearer as cool as possible.
The design of the carrier, whether or not the carrier needs any inserts and the material of the carrier, all play a part in how cool the carrier will be in those hotter summer months.
If you've ever worn a non-breathable baby carrier, you'll know how hot and sweaty it can get. Obviously the hotter the climate the worse, and no carrier will be completely cool in really hot weather, but this list showcases those that do the best job of it.
Even if you don't live in that hot a climate, you and your baby (affected by your increased body heat) can become hot on a mildly hot day, if you're wearing the baby for a long period of time and moving around a lot.
Fortunately, a lot of baby carrier manufacturers create a "Cool" version of their most popular carriers, so there should be a summer suitable version out there for you - and of course there are many that will be good for both summer and winter. This list showcases those that are what we consider to be the best for summer conditions.
Note: This list is just for structured carriers and doesn't include wraps, mei tais or slings. That's for another list!
Best Baby Carrier for Summer Reviews
1. BABYBJORN Baby Carrier One Air
The BabyBjorn Baby Carrier One Air is Babybjorns top of the line, most versatile carrier, in a mesh material to keep the air flowing for those hot summer months.
And since an infant insert isn't required (the seat is adjustable), you won't have to use one for your newborn, which means less material and a cooler carrier, even when your baby is brand new (minimum 8lbs, 53cm).
And another bonus of the light, breathable mesh material, is that it dries quicker - so if you need to wash it, or if it gets wet for any other reason, it will dry quickly, compared to other materials.
They also have a non-mesh version of this carrier, but for this list, the "Air" version is what we're interested in.
As well as being a nice cool, breathable carrier, the One Air has some other great qualities.
There are 4 different carry positions:
- Front facing in infant (high position of seat)
- Front facing in older babies (low position of seat)
- Front facing out
And more importantly than the different carry positions, the One Air is ergonomically designed to be good for babies hips. Babybjorn haven't always had the best reputation for this but its something they've addressed with the One (and other carriers in their line). The One Air has been assessed as "hip-healthy" by the International Hip Dysplasia Institute.
The carrier accommodates babies from 8lbs to 33lbs (roughly newborn to 3 years) so you know you can have the carrier for a long stretch.
And perhaps the thing that stands out the most about the One Air, compared to other carriers, is how easy it is to put on and take off.
- Updated in fall 2015 to create a more comfortable and ergonomic carrying experience
- JPMA Certified Product designed to safely grow with your baby from newborn to 3 years - no infant insert needed
- Four ergonomic front and back carrying positions, with wide seat area for the child: newborn, baby facing-in, baby facing-out and back carrying
- Acknowledged as a hip-healthy baby carrier by International Hip Dysplasia Institute and provides proper support of baby's legs, hips, & spine
- Now with extra-padded shoulder straps for added carrying comfort and a sturdier waist belt for for added stability and pressure relief
What's to like about the Babybjorn One Air
It's super easy to get on by yourself, and to take baby out (especially handy when they're napping).
What's not to like about the Babybjorn One Air
There's no sun hood. That's points off for summer suitability but if you can past that it's a great summer option.
Also, if you're a smaller person, then the One Air might not be the best bet. A lot of smaller moms have described it as being too big for them.
2. LÍLLÉbaby Complete Airflow
The LÍLLÉbaby Complete Airflow is made from breathable mesh, to keep you and baby cooler in the summer.
That, plus the fact that you don't need an infant insert for newborns, means that it's a cool carrier for a wide range of different sized babies.
The LÍLLÉbaby Complete Airflow has 6 different carry positions, so that you can carry baby in a variety of ways.
- Fetal (front facing-in, with legs tucjed into carrier)
- Infant (front facing-in, with legs out
- Front facing-out
- Toddler facing-in
It's versatile in other ways too:
- You can carry baby's from 7lbs to 45lbs (so that's roughly newborn up until 4 years)
- Has a sun hood (great for those summer months)
- Has an adjustable newborn head support
- Straps can be adjusted to fit a wide range of adults
In addition to all of that it's ergonomically designed and hip-healthy - a must, in my books.
- SIX POSITIONS: The LÍLLÉbaby COMPLETE Airflow baby carrier combines all essential features, including lumbar support, in a comfortable lightweight carrier with 6 ergonomic positions. Made of 100% cotton and breathable mesh for maximum air circulation.
- VERSATILE CARRYING: With our two-way straps allowing you to carry backpack style or forwards, large zippered storage pocket, removable sleeping hood & extendable torso, the LÍLLÉbaby Complete Baby Carrier provides comfort & support for you and your child.
- HANDS-FREE COMFORT: Whether you're hiking a trail or walking your dog, LÍLLÉbaby's baby carriers and toddler carriers let you carry your child in comfort and style, and the adjustable side panels widen or narrow the seat for comfortable hip positioning.
- NATURAL BOND WITH BABY: LÍLLÉbaby makes baby products that bring functional style to parents. We want parents to attain the simple luxury of keeping their baby close while building a natural bond in comfort and style with our baby carriers and slings.
- INCOMPARABLE QUALITY: The comfortable, ergonomic design of our baby & toddler carriers, slings, wraps& baby carrier accessories outshine those from Infantino, Ergobaby, Tula, Moby, Boba, Beco, K'tan, BabyBjorn, Sleepy Wrap, Boppy, Fisher Price or Graco
What's to like about the The LÍLLÉbaby Complete Airflow
The breathable mesh and included sun hood, makes the Complete Airflow very summer friendly - that and being super versatile and hip-healthy makes this one of the best options going around.
What's not to like about the The LÍLLÉbaby Complete Airflow
Can be quite tricky to put on by yourself. Bit of a learning curve there.
3. Tula Free-To-Grow Mesh Coast Carrier
The Baby Tula Free-To-Grow Coast Mesh carrier is an even airier version of their already lightweight breathable Free-to-Grow.
They simply replace the panel with a mesh material, but this carrier is already breathable, so with the mesh its an even better summer option.
The Tula Free-To-Grow Coast Mesh is a sleek, low profile option. It's less bulky than a lot of other structured carriers, so if that's something that's important to you, then this should be high on your list.
As well as being light weight and breathable, the Free-to-Grow Coast Mesh has the ability to carry your baby right from newborn (minimum 7lbs) all the way through to 45lbs, without the need for an infant insert.
It's also designed to put your baby in an ergonomically seated position that's good for hip health plus it has a removable hood to protect your baby from the sun - another great option for summer suitability.
The hood is also made from a mesh material.
The Coast Mesh version is available for their Free-To-Grow, Standard and Toddler carriers, but I chose the Free-to-Grow because it's the most versatile.
It's a deceptively simple, low profile carrier, that is great for those hot summer months.
- INNOVATIVE MESH BODY PANEL: adjusts in three width settings and two height settings to allow for an ergonomic snug position from newborn, infant and early toddlerhood. No infant insert needed!
- MULTIPLE ERGONOMIC POSITIONS: front and back carry options to provide a natural, ergonomic position best for long term, comfortable carrying that promotes healthy hip and spine development for baby
- EASY-TO-ADJUST DESIGN: allows for long-time carrier use from infancy to toddlerhood,can be used from 7 - 45 pounds and does not need an infant insert
- DUAL-ADJUSTMENT PADDED STRAPS: provide optimal neck & shoulder comfort and offers quick and easy adjustments for multiple wearers
- WIDE PADDED WAISTBAND: provides superior comfort for all body types to help evenly distribute weight, also includes large front pocket for extra storage
What's to like about the Tula Free-To-Grow Coast Mesh
Breathable and with a sun hood, it's a great summer option. Plus it has a stylish, low profile design that makes this carrier feel and look great.
What's not to like about the Tula Free-To-Grow Coast Mesh
It only has 2 carry positions - Front Facing-In and Back - there's no option to have baby facing-out, which a lot of babies love once they are older.
4. Ergo OMNI 360 Cool Air Mesh
If comfort is your main concern, then the Ergo OMNI 360 Cool Air Mesh, might just be the carrier your searching for.
And the Cool Air Mesh version, is not only comfortable but also cool and breathable.
But as well as being cool, breathable and super-comfortable, the OMNI 360 Cool Air Mesh is super versatile:
- Has multiple carry positions (front facing-in, front facing-out, back and hip)
- Doesn't require an infant insert for newborns
- Can accommodate babies all the way from 7lbs to 45lbs; and
- Can be adjusted to fit many different sized wearers
The OMNI 360 also comes with an adjustable sun hood to keep your baby out of the sun on those hot sunny days.
It is, of course, also ergonomic and hip healthy to make sure your babies developing hips are in a comfortable and safe position.
Ergos 360 (non-OMNI), Adapt and Original carriers also come in Cool Air Mesh versions, but the OMNI 360 is their best, most versatile carrier, IMO - so I chose to include this version rather than the others.
- ALL-IN-ONE CARRIER: Adapts to your growing baby from newborn to toddler (7-45lbs). All carry positions included, face baby in or out, wear on the hip or back. Baby hood for sun protection (UPF 50+) & privacy
- COMFORT: Exceptional lower back comfort with padded lumbar support waist belt & extra padded shoulder straps with the option to wear 2 ways: crossed or "backpack style". Waist belt can be worn high or low to maximize comfort.
- COOL & BREATHABLE: Our Cool Air Mesh collection carriers are made with soft and durable mesh fabric that provides our renowned ergonomic support for baby while allowing for ultimate breathability and airflow
- EASY TO USE: Easy, one-handed slider adjustment allows you to quickly switch baby to face in or out on the fly
- ERGONOMIC AS BABY GROWS: Acknowledged as hip healthy by the International Hip Dysplasia Institute. Adjustable bucket seat supports baby in an ergonomic natural "M" position in all carry positions.
What's to like about the OMNI 360 Cool Air Mesh
It's designed to be great for newborns but its also a carrier that you can use throughout your baby's carrying days, so you'll only ever need the one carrier. That and its super comfortable and the Cool Air Mesh version is more breathable.
What's not to like about the OMNI 360 Cool Air Mesh
It can apparently feel quite big for smaller parents and the pocket can be difficult to use with one hand and difficult to reach with two.
5. Beco Gemini Cool
The Beco Gemini Cool is Beco's more breathable version of their popular Gemini carrier.
It's lacking a sun hood, like the first carrier (Babybjorn One Air) but is otherwise a great summer carrier.
The Beco Gemini Cool can accommodate babies from newborn (minimum 7lbs) to 35lbs, without the need of an infant insert, so you want be counteracting those breathable qualities of the mesh by adding an infant insert, if you're using it to carry a newborn or smaller baby.
It is an ergonomic, hip healthy carrier and its one of the easier carriers to put on. Not at the level of ease of the Babybjorn One Air, but easier than most - I'd say the second easiest on this list.
The Gemini cool features the following carry positions:
- Front facing-in
- Front facing-out
It's a sleeker less bulky alternative to the likes of the Ergo OMNI 360 and Lillebaby Complete, but offers similar versatility. In some ways its a cross between the Tula Free-To-Grow and the OMNI 360/Lillebaby Complete.
- HAPPY BABY, HAPPY PARENTS - Beco brings you only the very best in baby carrying quality! This remarkable Soft Structured Baby Carrier is not only versatile with four different carry options, but amazingly comfortable for both you and your little one. That paired with unmatched durability is why we're the premier choice in ergonomic baby carriers!
- FOR YOUNG AND "OLD" - When you buy Beco, you're buying for years to come! Our innovative little carrier is designed to support your child from newborn to toddler (7-35 lbs / 3.5 - 16 kg) without worry. You don't grow out of Beco, because we make sure that we grow with you.
- CLOUD 9 - With superior padding in our adjustable straps (23" - 45") and ergonomic comfort support for both you and your child, you can say goodbye to back pain and other hip and shoulder related carrying issues. Best of all, with the added padding by the leg holes, you can rest assured that your little tyke is sitting pretty in style and comfort no matter how you carry!
- GUARANTEED - With so many options to chose from, we know that picking the right carrier for you can be a harrowing venture. That's why we offer a full LIFETIME GUARANTEE on every carrier we sell! If for any reason our sling doesn't meet your expectations, just sent it back our way for a full no questions asked refund!
What's to like about the Beco Gemini
The Gemini Cool is light and breathable, but also very versatile.
What's not to like about the Beco Gemini
There's no sun hood. And that's its biggest downside as a summer carrier. Otherwise a great summer option.
If you're looking for best baby carrier for summer , those are what we consider to be the best 5 options going around currently.
All of the brands of the carriers above also have cool versions of some or all of their other models, but these were chosen based on also being what we consider great carriers in general, as well as being great for summer.
If you're not worried about or interested in a sun hood, then the:
- Babybjorn One Air; and
- Beco Gemini Cool
Are both great options.
If you want a carrier that's not only breathable but also has a sun hood, then the:
- Lillebaby Complete Airflow;
- Tula Free-To-Grow Coast Mesh; and
- Ergo OMNI 360 Cool Air Mesh
Are your best options.
Check out the links under each carrier above for more information, current prices and availability.